Ingredients – Makes 8
- 1 kilo of good quality minced beef
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tspn ground or grated nutmeg
- 1 tspn paprika
- Salt & Pepper
- Good handful of chopped fresh herbs, parsley, chive, rosemary, oregano
- Oil for cooking
Cook the onion and garlic in a little oil until translucent, set aside to cool.
Put the minced beef in a large bowl and add all the ingredients. Mix thoroughly with your hands and form into compact burgers. Place on tray lined with greaseproof paper and keep in the fridge until you are ready to cook. Before cooking take out of the fridge to bring up to room temperature. Cook on an oiled barbecue on a high heat until cooked through, turning occasionally. The burgers can rest in a warm oven or on the top rack of the BBQ until you are ready to serve.
You can freeze these if you have used fresh (not previously frozen) meat. If freezing or making ahead in storing in the fridge don’t be tempted to add the onion in raw, it will oxidise and sour the meat.